APA Mississippi is comprised of planners from around the state with the goal of improving the quality of life in their respective communities and advancing the profession. Our mission is “a Mississippi where we can retain, nurture and grow communities of lasting value and diversity with choices for living, working and enjoying life within our State".
The Mississippi Chapter of the American Planning Association has been very busy over the last few years, and several of our strategic initiatives are beginning to show results. Rooted in strategic plan and designed to achieve the Chapter’s mission of “a Mississippi where we can retain, nurture and grow communities of lasting value and diversity with choices for living, working and enjoying life within our State”, these initiatives, along with our ongoing work of collaboration, conferencing, training and networking are the heart of the chapter’s current work and service.
- Establishment of the Planning Assistance Teams – The chapter piloted its first Planning Assistance Team in the summer of 2014 with the City of Quitman. The Planning Assistance Team is a group of volunteer planning professionals who will spend 3 to 5 days in a community addressing a particular community planning issue. Communities will be selected for assistance from information submitted in its application and its willingness to support the outcomes of the team’s work.
- Implementation of Great Places in Mississippi – Mississippi is filled with great places! We want to make sure they are highlighted and showcased. Modeled on APA’s Great Places in America program, Great Places in Mississippi will be selected that exhibit the best in the sound place making and planning principles. The criteria and selection process are under development and should be available soon.
- Conferencing and Networking – Over the past several years, Mississippi APA’s conferences and seminars have become outstanding values for high quality training, networking and information. Mark your calendars for two upcoming opportunities:
- 50 Years of Planning in Mississippi- APA MS Celebrated 50 Years of Planning in Mississippi on Friday April 4, 2014 at the King Edward Hotel in Downtown Jackson. The chapter looked back at the first 50 years and then forward towards the future of planning including technology advances and social media usage in planning.
- Annual Conference – November 12, 13, and 14, Tupelo, Mississippi – With a full line up of well designed sessions and workshops, high caliber speakers and great social events this year’s conference promises to be an outstanding opportunity. Our host city of Tupelo offers a premier laboratory of great planning efforts related to preservation, comprehensive planning, special area planning, and disaster planning, along with a variety of other planning implementation methods. Mark Your Calendars Now! You really don’t want to miss it.
It’s a great time to be planning in Mississippi. We invite you get involved, participate, contribute time and talents and help us retain, nurture and grow communities of lasting value.
Membership to the organization can be obtained in two ways--through APA National (as part of dues) or through Chapter Only Membership. If interested in the latter option, click here to access the form. Thank you for being a part of this great organization.